Love, Happiness, MLK & Social Progress
Happy Martin Luther King Day. #MLK. 37% of employers offer MLK as a paid holiday. Facebook, Google, Twitter and Yahoo give employees the day off for MLK. So does HireVue ;) Last year I recruited sales people and skied with my son on MLK. This year, I played with my kids, worked and will play with my kids more. But I digress.
MLK is a legend in our
country, world. During MLK's living days the focus on a country's Gross Domestic Product (GDP) was more important than social progress. Hungry people do not stay hungry for long. Hungry people care about progress now...
Check out the Social Progress Imperative. They have a way to measure social progress, just as we have a way to measure our GDP. See chart below for how they measure social progress:
How does the U.S. rank? We rank 16th out of 132 countries. Below are the highs and lows.
We do best in the following areas:
- Nutrition and Basic Medical Care.
- We do a decent job of giving people Access to Basic Knowledge.
- We outperform in providing opportunities for people to improve their position in society and score highly in Access to Advanced Education
We need to improve in the following areas:
- We need to improve Personal Safety.
- We need invest more in Ecosystem Sustainability.
- We still fall short in Tolerance and Inclusion.
Dig in HERE for your own research.
Social progress will involve tension. Especially when it comes to tolerance and inclusion. Get comfortable with the tension. Be a player, not a hater. Tolerance is within your control, the GDP not so much.
As for MLK being a day off or not for your company, do not wait for "management" to honor it. Instead push yourself to think different, accept different and be different. MLK would prefer a tolerance to difference before a day off. Wouldn't you?...